[OpenAFS] Funding the formation of an OpenAFS Foundation

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Sat, 01 Sep 2012 12:17:40 -0400

--------------enig0A8118D2D910B46143D2B4CB

On 8/31/2012 3:38 PM, Dave Botsch wrote:
> If AFS were to solve a lot of the issues Russ mentions, AFS would becom=
> a real contender for a real Cornell-wide file system, which we still do=

> not have.

Your File System Inc. is striving to address exactly the needs that Russ
described with its products.

> I find the idea of an OpenAFS Foundation very interesting and very
> intriguing. Having something concrete with a concrete direction for
> organizations to contribute to and to fund would be a benefit. My
> question is, how does one go about investigating and starting up such a=

> foundation (has anyone talked to other OSS projects with have started u=
> similar foundations)? Perhaps whichever institutions are interested
> should get together in some sort of forum (irc, jabber, webex, phone
> conference, etc) to talk about plans, etc.

The concept of a Foundation was pursued for years and just before the
economic collapse the Elders were committed to forming it.  Your File
System Inc. was committed at that time to putting up a pool for use in
matching contributions from end user organizations.  After the economic
collapse it was deemed to risky to attempt to start a Foundation.  All
of the organizations that had privately committed to put funds into the
pot backed out when large holes appeared in their budgets.

If you believe that your organization is now capable of making a
multi-year commitment to OpenAFS, please contact openafs-elders@openafs.o=
rg.

Jeffrey Altman