[OpenAFS] 1.8.11 Ubuntu packages?

Jan Henrik Sylvester me@janh.de
Wed, 29 May 2024 17:23:59 +0000

On 5/29/24 16:36, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 11:26:33AM +0100, Stephen Quinney wrote:
>> It looks like the openafs ppa packages for Ubuntu have not been
>> updated for 1.8.11. Does anyone know when that might happen? I'd like
>> to use the HWE kernel in Jammy but that's now 6.5 which isn't
>> supported by 1.8.10
>
> I think it's mostly waiting on having 1.8.11 uploaded for Debian, which has
> been on my plate for a while ... ever since 1.8.11 released, actually :)
> Once the debian package is in place, getting the Ubuntu PPAs updated is
> fairly simple, and either Anders or I could do it.

1.8.11 is only for kernel 6.7, right? If I am correct, it will not build
for Ubuntu 24.04 with 6.8.

Will you include the patches that are in noble-proposed to support 6.8?

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openafs/1.8.10-2.1ubuntu3.1

Sorry, I cannot trace the origin of these patches, whether you did them
to the Debian package or someone else took them from gerrit just for Ubuntu.

Without 6.8 support, the next HWE update for jammy will break the PPA
package again in a few month -- and 1.8.11 would be newer than 1.8.10
with patches in the Ubuntu repository, if they migrate the 6.8 fixes
from noble to jammy.

BTW, to Stephen: There are packaged with 6.5 support in jammy-proposed
for a while now, but no one does the verification for mantic, which
seems to be required for a jammy release (since the patches come from
noble and have to go down the chain):

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openafs/1.8.10-2ubuntu1~22.04.1

Best,
Jan Henrik