[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document: Registrars

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:18:02 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Simon Wilkinson <simon@sxw.org.uk> wrote:
> Attached is a second draft of my AFS standardisation proposal. I believe
> I've updated it to reflect all of the discussions to date.
>
> Comments, including expressions of support, highly welcome!

While the document is looking good, David's questions raise a concern.
 The language around selecting the registrars says nothing about their
terms ending or the number of registrars overall.  While the
registrars have very little power individually (i.e., the day-to-day
is handing out protocol numbers, with the only real power being the
ability to help break a tie with the other registrars), there should
be appointment terms and recall procedures for the registrar roles as
well.

As a straw man,

* there are always to be at least 3 registrars, and no more than 5,
with the initial set as proposed earlier.

* boostrap: the registrars' terms also be two years, with the boostrap
process having at least 2 serve one year, and at least 2 serve the
full two years, with the terms to be set by the chairs, in
consultation with the registrars.  Once past  the bootstrap, the
document as-written covers how the registrars would add new
registrars.

* recall procedure: same as that of the chairs.

--
Steven Jenkins
End Point Corporation