[AFS3-std] Second Draft of Standardisation Document: Registrars

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:04:17 -0400

--On Friday, August 29, 2008 03:47:11 PM -0400 Steven Jenkins
<steven.jenkins@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
>> Would you be satisfied with language allowing the registrars to eject
>> one of their own?  If not, what else do you think is necessary?
>>

> Yes.

OK, then.  Now let's see if we can agree on some text.  I'll propose the
following as a replacement for the next-to-last paragraph of 2.3.2:

	This combination of roles makes it difficult for a single
	individual to serve as registrar.  Instead, it is proposed to
	expand the role of registrar to include a number of individuals
	from the community.  This group would initially be composed as
	described in section 3.

	Once established, the registrars set their own procedures for
	adding new registrars, removing registrars, and determining the
	size of the group.  In the event there are no registrars, a new
	group will be formed consisting of one representative from each
	active AFS implementation and one representative chosen by the
	chairs.

I would also add the following sentence to the last paragraph of 2.3.2:

	The registrars must make the current set of registries available to
	the community, including versions in the preferred source form.

These changes have several effects...

- Explicitly empower the registrars to establish a removal mechanism.
- Explicitly empower the registrars to set the size of the group.
- Remove mention of the "current registrar", which is meaningful only
  during initial bootstrapping.
- Remove ex officio membership of chairs in the registrar pool.
- Provide a way to recover from all of the registrars disappearing.
- Insure source is available if someone else has to take over.

Comments?