[AFS3-std] Quota for max. number of files per volumes

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:39:06 +0100

On 13 Jul 2009, at 22:26, Alf Wachsmann wrote:
> I would like to open the discussion about these changes since they
> will have to be dealt with for the RXOSD changes anyway but provide
> by themselves already a very useful feature.

Rather than overloading existing fields (especially in the case of
returning two values bitpacked into MinQuota), I think it's more
valuable to consider the RPC changes necessary to support this as a
first class feature. Fortunately, this would  appear to be relatively
simple. We would need to to revise GetVolumeStatus and
SetVolumeStatus, and the structures AFSFetchVolumeStatus, and
AFSStoreVolumeStatus.

I will leave others to speak to the desirability of using the MinQuota
portion of the volume header - I've got no idea how widespread other
uses for this field may be.

Cheers,

Simon.