[AFS3-std] Quota for max. number of files per volumes

Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:45:39 -0400

Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 13 Jul 2009, at 22:26, Alf Wachsmann wrote:
>> I would like to open the discussion about these changes since they
>> will have to be dealt with for the RXOSD changes anyway but provide
>> by themselves already a very useful feature.
>
> Rather than overloading existing fields (especially in the case of
> returning two values bitpacked into MinQuota), I think it's more
> valuable to consider the RPC changes necessary to support this as a
> first class feature. Fortunately, this would  appear to be relatively
> simple. We would need to to revise GetVolumeStatus and
> SetVolumeStatus, and the structures AFSFetchVolumeStatus, and
> AFSStoreVolumeStatus.
>
> I will leave others to speak to the desirability of using the MinQuota
> portion of the volume header - I've got no idea how widespread other
> uses for this field may be.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
While I am not opposed to the feature, I am opposed to overloading
existing fields.
The required changes necessary to implement new RPCs are minor and will
provide a much better user experience when the set volume status
operation fails with a "not supported by server" error instead of
silently failing.

Jeffrey Altman