[AFS3-std] Quota for max. number of files per volumes

Alf Wachsmann alfw@slac.stanford.edu
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Simon Wilkinson wrote:
>> Rather than overloading existing fields (especially in the case of
>> returning two values bitpacked into MinQuota), I think it's more
>> valuable to consider the RPC changes necessary to support this as a
>> first class feature.

This is as expected ;-)

>> I will leave others to speak to the desirability of using the MinQuota
>> portion of the volume header - I've got no idea how widespread other
>> uses for this field may be.
>
> While I am not opposed to the feature, I am opposed to overloading
> existing fields.

I am curious whether the existing MinQuota field is used at all.
Why not reuse a field that is not used?

Re-using this field has the added advantage that the new on-disk format
is compatible with the old one. I.e. you can mix new and old servers.
The same applies to volume dumps.

-- Alf.

   Alf Wachsmann                       | e-mail: alfw@slac.stanford.edu
   SLAC - Scientific Computing         | Phone:  +1-650-926-4802
   2575 Sand Hill Road, M/S 97         | FAX:    +1-650-926-3329
   Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA           | Office: Bldg. 50/323
                 http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw (PGP)