[AFS3-std] Port numbers for AFS+OSD

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:31:59 +0200

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Felix Frank <Felix.Frank@Desy.de> writes:
>
>> The additional ports used for the current RxOSD implementation are 7011
>> for the rxosd server and 7012 for the OSDDB database server. These are
>> inherited from the now obsolete MR-AFS branch. Historically, RxOSD and
>> MR-AFS would even coexist in the same cell.
>>
>> Sadly, these ports are no longer available for registration with IANA. I
>> suggest to use them anyway, as they are (via MR-AFS) historically linked
>> to AFS and fit intuitively with the other ports used by AFS (which is a
>> convenience bonus for network administrators). A request to IANA would
>> likely yield obscure ports that won't be as easily recognized as part of
>> AFS.
>
> A request to IANA would result in getting 7016 and 7017 so far as I can
> tell.  (Or something else if you wanted something else, but those seem
> like the most reasonable choices.)  You can generally ask IANA for the
> port numbers that you want.
>
> I think it would be better to register new port numbers unless there's a
> substantial backward-compatibility benefit for existing installations to
> reusing the current port numbers.  I don't have a good feel of the
> combined current RxOSD and MR-AFS installation base, though.

Changing the port numbers, of course, creates some compatibility issues.
But I think we could live in the long range with 7016 and 7017 instead
of 7011 and 7012.

The OSDDB (currently 7012) is not contacted by the cache manager
directly, but only by fileserver, volserver, rxosd and commands. We
could with not too big an effort change that port number restarting all
servers at the same time with new binaries.

For the rxosd port (currently 7011) the cache managers would have to be
upgraded, however. The best way certainly would be to make the
port-number part of the OSDDB entry for OSDs and to put it into the
information the client gets from the fileserver. Before changing the
port number we would have to make sure all clients have been replaced by
the new ones which get the port-number along with the ip-address of the
rxosd from the fileserver.

Since the rxosd integration will certainly take a while, it should be
possible to go this way.

I don't know whether the rx-protocol would allow us to build locally
rxosds which listen on both ports. Any hints in this direction would be
very appreciated.

Hartmut
Hartmut Reuter                  e-mail 		reuter@rzg.mpg.de
			   	phone 		 +49-89-3299-1328
			   	fax   		 +49-89-3299-1301
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)   	web    http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~hwr
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)