[AFS3-std] Port numbers for AFS+OSD

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:12:03 -0400

--On Tuesday, July 28, 2009 01:31:59 PM +0200 Hartmut Reuter
<reuter@rzg.mpg.de> wrote:

>> A request to IANA would result in getting 7016 and 7017 so far as I can
>> tell.  (Or something else if you wanted something else, but those seem
>> like the most reasonable choices.)  You can generally ask IANA for the
>> port numbers that you want.
>>
>> I think it would be better to register new port numbers unless there's a
>> substantial backward-compatibility benefit for existing installations to
>> reusing the current port numbers.  I don't have a good feel of the
>> combined current RxOSD and MR-AFS installation base, though.

Port numbers are an interesting space.  It's desirable not to have
conflicts, and if you ask IANA to assign a port, they will assign a
non-conflicting one.  However, IANA does not "control" the port space above
1024; it "registers uses of these ports as a convenience to the community".
If you report an existing use, IANA can and will document it, even where it
conflicts with another assignment.  That said, I agree that for new uses we
should be requesting that IANA assign unused port numbers.

> I don't know whether the rx-protocol would allow us to build locally
> rxosds which listen on both ports. Any hints in this direction would be
> very appreciated.

Yes, of course it does.  There's nothing in either the protocol or the IBM
Rx implementation which prevents listening on multiple ports.  Just call
rx_NewService more than once.

-- Jeff