[AFS3-std] RxOSD claim on 2 structure members

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 8 Jun 2009 07:10:26 -0400

On Monday, June 8, 2009, Tom Keiser <tkeiser@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Matt W. Benjamin<matt@linuxbox.com> wrote=
:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A priority for openafs is to merge the rxosd changeset. =A0One obstacle =
to merging is the use of two 'unused' members in existing structures withou=
t prior coordination. =A0We've been asked to move discussion of the topic i=
nto this forum, which we hereby do.

> Hi Matt,
>
> Perhaps I'm missing some context since I couldn't make it to the
> workshop this year, but I sense that we're really getting ahead of
> ourselves -- rxosd (at least in the 1.4.8 tarball I received at the
> Google hackathon) is neither cache coherent, nor consistent. =A0Until
> we, as a community, have a chance to re-architect rxosd to follow afs3
> semantics, and to properly support transactional semantics with regard
> to vnodes and the volume package, I think it's premature to talk about
> how afs3 should be modified to deal with these namespace collisions.

Assuming the stated desire to standardize OSD piecemeal, assuming the
assignment of SyncCounter to return information about which protocol
can be used to access a given file affects afs3 consistency in any
manner especially without comment as to what the issue might be
appears specious.

--=20
Derrick