[AFS3-std] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Hackathon Summary

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 22 Nov 2009 23:00:50 -0500

--On Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:14:36 PM -0500 David Boyes
<dboyes@sinenomine.net> wrote:

>> > While the IETF is sorting out it's tooling
>>
>> Not sure what this is supposed to mean...
>
> As I understand it, the IETF is changing the tools they use to manage
> drafts, including a new template and some new tools for managing drafts.

I think you are confused.  There is, of course, ongoing development on the
tools the IETF and its participants use to create, submit, manage, and
track Internet-Drafts.  However, there is no impending flag day that is
preventing work from happening.

> Some submissions have been held up due to this process.

I am not aware of any I-D submissions that have been held up due to tools
work.  However, the IETF meets three times a year, and for a brief period
(usually 2-3 weeks) prior to each meeting, draft publication is suspended.
This is done to insure that drafts submitted for discussion at the meeting
are submitted and published early enough for participants to have a chance
to read them in advance.  This is a normal process, not something being
"held up" due to tools work.

> Given at the moment you can't actually submit drafts through the usual
> process

Yes, you can.  You've always been able to -- even during the draft
publication blackout (most recently, Oct 26 through Nov 8); drafts
submitted during that period simply are not published until the meeting
begins.

> I'm asking whether this group is maintaining a coherent location
> for AFS-related documents while the above process gets finished.

Nope; we're using the I-D repository.  Folks here who have a desperate need
to publish a new draft during the blackout period can do the same thing as
IETFers who find themselves in that situation -- put the document up
elsewhere for the 2 weeks.

-- Jeff