[AFS3-std] rpc refresh: FetchDirectory: discussion only

Tom Keiser tkeiser@sinenomine.net
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:50:04 -0400

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Matt W. Benjamin<matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> ----- "Tom Keiser" <tkeiser@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Matt W. Benjamin<matt@linuxbox.com>

[snip]
>> Additionally, I really think we should assert our current DV as an IN
>> param to allow future implementations to do offset mapping should
>> they
>> so desire (and offset should become INOUT as a result).
>
> Ok. =A0I assumed the client might abort the listing if it discovered that=
 dv
> had changed, we'll need a way for the server to inform the client it can =
continue
> a coherent listing, I think.

Actually, I think I see a good opportunity to reduce the messaging
complexity of afs3: drop an XCB notification vector (and probably a
"you're caught up now" flag) as an OUT parameter on the RPC.  A file
server implementing XCB async delivery semantics would then have the
_option_ of delivering a subset of queued notifications, thus
potentially eliminating a second round trip, and hopefully eliminating
the posited desire for aborts.  If this works out as well as I suspect
it will, we might eventually want to add such an OUT parameter to many
of the afsint RPCs.

-Tom