[AFS3-std] rpc refresh: FetchDirectory: discussion only

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:48:15 -0400

--On Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:50:04 PM -0400 Tom Keiser
<tkeiser@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> Actually, I think I see a good opportunity to reduce the messaging
> complexity of afs3: drop an XCB notification vector (and probably a
> "you're caught up now" flag) as an OUT parameter on the RPC.  A file
> server implementing XCB async delivery semantics would then have the
> _option_ of delivering a subset of queued notifications, thus
> potentially eliminating a second round trip, and hopefully eliminating
> the posited desire for aborts.  If this works out as well as I suspect
> it will, we might eventually want to add such an OUT parameter to many
> of the afsint RPCs.

That's an interesting idea.  Of course, such notifications ned not be
limited to the object the RPC refers to, and need not even be limited to
asynchronous notifications -- any notification bound for a client with an
active RPC could potentially be returned with the result of that RPC.