[AFS3-std] rpc refresh: FetchDirectory: discussion only

Matt W. Benjamin matt@linuxbox.com
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:22:17 -0400 (EDT)

Depending on your point of view, this might be increasing the complexity of afs3
messaging, but clearly it would be reducing protocol workload when you
could do it, I agree.  A bit nfsv4 flavored :), but I think it's interesting.
To implement the optimization, the file server needs to rendezvous with the enqueued
notifications (easy), pick off the ones applicable to this host (some cost), and
finally have an efficient mechanism to omit to deliver just these notifications
to this client host, presuming this host isn't the unique recipient (tricky, today).
Design goals for the new host and callback packages...

Matt

--

Matt Benjamin

The Linux Box