[AFS3-std] Re: First order of Business - AFS Standardization Process

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:12:49 -0500

--On Monday, December 06, 2010 04:03:22 PM -0600 Andrew Deason
<adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> Another comment that was not brought up on the list anywhere yet, but
> that I have mentioned to a couple of others, is about the voting system
> used to elect chairs. A Condorcet method would be nice instead of the
> simple single-vote mechanism used now, in order to avoid some of the
> common pitfalls of such simple elections.

Note, however, that because we have two chairs, there is an edge case in
which a single-winner system is not sufficient.  So, if we choose such a
system, we will need to make modifications to eliminate those cases.

In general, any system we choose needs to be easy to understand well enough
to particpate, to operate elections, and potentially to verify results.
Bear in mind that most of us are not game theorists :-)