[AFS3-std] Re: First order of Business - AFS Standardization Process

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:03:22 -0600

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:41:39 -0500
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:

> There were a number of specific comments on Simon's document which
> were raised in response to my original consensus call on the bootstrap
> election process.  I believe these all appeared on the mailing list; I
> summarized them at the time and repeat the summary here:

Another comment that was not brought up on the list anywhere yet, but
that I have mentioned to a couple of others, is about the voting system
used to elect chairs. A Condorcet method would be nice instead of the
simple single-vote mechanism used now, in order to avoid some of the
common pitfalls of such simple elections.

Wikipedia has a good description of what I mean:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method>. The Debian project uses
a variant of this involving the Schwartz Set (details are in section A.6
of <http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution>). I'm not completely sure
whether it would really make any difference for us, but, well, it came
up when talking about this.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net