[AFS3-std] Re: Voting for the position of AFS3-standardization co-chair

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:54:44 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:15, David Boyes <dboyes@sinenomine.net> wrote:
..
> I am suggesting that in the future, the process be changed to require a statement like the one Simon requested from all candidates.

In the more formal elections I am familiar with, candidates
have the option of offering a statement or to choose to
provide none at all.  I think that is the appropriate way
forward (and the voters will make of those choices by
the candidates what they will, as it should be).

One alternative might be a (built-in) hold between
the candidates being announced and voting beginning
to allow the candidates to state their positions on list.
Another might be that the chairs ask that as part
of the acceptance of the nomination the potential
candidate is offered an opportunity to provide a
statement that the chair would include in the
formal "election has started" email.

But that would be for the next election.  This election
is already in progress.