[AFS3-std] AFSVol GetSizeV2 draft

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:42:40 -0600

Hi,

I've written up a draft to create a new AFSVol GetSize-like RPC, which
allows you to specify flags like in DumpV2. This is basically to let us
do "vos size -dump -omitdirs" to accurately calculate the size of dumps
achieved with "vos dump -omitdirs" in OpenAFS. The draft is here:

<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-deason-afs3-getsizev2/>

Comments, of course, are appreciated. Possible issues:

I'm not entirely clear on if it's appropriate to have the registrar
maintain the flag values for the new RPC (as opposed to just specifying
them in the draft). To me, this seems similar to assigning code points,
but to my knowledge the registrar doesn't maintain such values for other
RPCs currently.

I wasn't sure if my level of explaining AFS is sufficient or is too
much, etc. I don't want to have to explain everything about what volumes
are, the volume dump format, etc, but with too little the draft on its
own is rather meaningless. I also don't really explain the motivation
for *_OMITDIRS flags; do I need to?

The security considerations section sounds a bit ridiculous to me. But,
I was assuming we wanted to keep GetSize-like RPCs with the same
restrictions, and what's in there is just the justification I thought
of.

My wording explaining the relationship between Dump{,V2} and
GetSize{,V2} is probably awkward. For some reason I had trouble putting
it into words, but the concept of "it's like DumpV2 but for GetSize" is
probably obvious.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net