[AFS3-std] AFSVol GetSizeV2 draft

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 02 Feb 2011 16:03:20 -0500

--On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 02:42:40 PM -0600 Andrew Deason
<adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> I'm not entirely clear on if it's appropriate to have the registrar
> maintain the flag values for the new RPC (as opposed to just specifying
> them in the draft). To me, this seems similar to assigning code points,
> but to my knowledge the registrar doesn't maintain such values for other
> RPCs currently.

There are plenty of existing cases where the meanings of particular bits
and fields could be represented in registries but presently are not.  For
example, I don't think we ever set up a registry of volume dump tags, but
that's clearly an appropriate subject for one.

Generally, a registry is unnecessary for things which can/will never
change, or for things which will change or be used only by producing the
one-and-only next version of a protocol.  For example, when defining the
transport of Kerberos over TCP, we left the high bit of the message length
reserved/MBZ for use by a future protocol revision.  Later we used that bit
to add an extension mechanism (which does have a registry of extensions).

I haven't read the document in question, so I can't comment on whether
creating a registry in this particular case is appropriate.  But certainly,
don't reject it out of hand just because we don't have any other such.

-- Jeff