[AFS3-std] Encoding IPvN addresses (was Re: first draft: ubik update proposal)

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:01:48 -0500

On Feb 7, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> Treat it as an opaque vector.  An IPv6 address is not actually an =
array of 16- or 32-bit integers, and treating it that way means you're =
going to have to jump through hoops to get the byte order right when =
local byte order is not the same as network order.  Better to just treat =
the whole thing as an opaque bitstring, which is what it is.

I'm opposed to proliferating opaque strings like that unless there is =
compelling reason. =46rom the discussion so far I see some reason, but =
not yet at a level I'd consider compelling.'

That said, it's not my decision nor am I the guy doing the work. So =
consider this an opinion, not a suggested requirement.=