[AFS3-std] Re: Encoding IPvN addresses

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:37:52 +0000

--Apple-Mail-1--868789718

On 11 Feb 2011, at 03:53, "Matt W. Benjamin" <matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:

> yes.  at this point, an rpc-l primitive and corresponding rxgen support se=
em like something we would need to enable manageable and consistent elaborat=
ion of different union types, if I at all understand the issues.  I'm happy t=
o make xcb conformant with this, for example.  I am not interested in seeing=
 this wheel invented several times.

Coming at this from a slightly different angle, I think we have an immediate=
 need for a new address primitive. We can create, and implement, one relativ=
ely easily. I don't see doing so as reinventing the wheel.

Separately, I agree that we need a new method of encoding unions on the wire=
. However, I think this is going to require more standardisation and impleme=
ntation work. I'm definitely interested in seeing that work done, but I don'=
t think we should delay moving forward with addresses on waiting for that to=
 happen.

Cheers,

Simon.

--Apple-Mail-1--868789718

 W. Benjamin" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:matt@linuxbox.com">matt@linuxbox.com</a>=
. &nbsp;at this point, an rpc-l primitive and corresponding rxgen support se=
em like something we would need to enable manageable and consistent elaborat=
ion of different union types, if I at all understand the issues. &nbsp;I'm h=
appy to make xcb conformant with this, for example. &nbsp;I am not intereste=
d in seeing this wheel invented several times.</span><font class=3D"Apple-st=
yle-span" color=3D"#000000"><font class=3D"Apple-style-span" color=3D"#0023A=
 slightly different angle, I think we have an immediate need for a new addre=
ss primitive. We can create, and implement, one relatively easily. I don't s=
 that we need a new method of encoding unions on the wire. However, I think t=
his is going to require more standardisation and implementation work. I'm de=
finitely interested in seeing that work done, but I don't think we should de=
lay moving forward with addresses on waiting for that to happen.</div><div><=
body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-1--868789718--