[AFS3-std] Referencing the AFS-3 Programmer's Reference

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:35:22 -0600

So, it's pretty useful to reference the AFS-3 Programmer's Reference
documentation in I-Ds extending existing RPCs, since they're usually the
only documentation for a lot of the existing protocol currently. Right
now I/we have just been referencing these as you would reference the
physical copies. But, since these are easily accessible electronically,
it would probably be much better for anyone reading AFS3 I-Ds to provide
a link to the electronic versions.

The only way I am aware of to link to these directly is via the OpenAFS
git (or theoretically CVS) repository, for example:
<http://git.openafs.org/?p=openafs.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/pdf/vvl-spec.pdf;hb=HEAD>,
or possibly with some git:// URL; aside from using random sites that
mirror these documents, anyway. However, such URLs are rather long and
ugly, and would seem subject to change (if the VCS technology is changed
again, or if we use something besides gitweb, etc). Should we be
providing HTTP URLs to these when referenced in I-Ds, and should they
perhaps be copied to a more permanent location? (either somewhere on
openafs.org or central.org?)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net