[AFS3-std] A call for consensus on draft-deason-afs3-type-time-02

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 21 Jul 2011 08:47:06 -0500

On 7/21/2011 2:50 AM, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
> 21.07.2011 8:20, Simon Wilkinson wrote
>> On 21 Jul 2011, at 06:00, Mykyta Yevstifeyev<evnikita2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Reading this draft, I don't actually understand why you chose to publish it as RFC.
>> We're using the Independent Submissions stream for afs3 documents. See RFC4846 for details of this stream, and it's purpose.
> I've read RFC 4846 and have noticed you're using Independent Submissions stream. Probably, the draft should be clearer regarding relationships with currently deployed Internet protocols/technologies,
> since your document "at the first glance" seems to be a bit irrelevant for the RFC series. The counter conclusion may only be made by people who are involved in the AFS development and other
> contiguous technologies (whom I don't belong to), which makes the document not as readable as desired. A good background placed in the Introduction is a good way to resolve the issue.
>
> Mykyta

The attempt to implement standards for the AFS protocols has been a mult-year endeavor,
with discussions with the IETF and IESG and independent submission has been the recommendation.
But as people come and go the same discussions are repeated, so progress has been slow.

Following is a note sent to the editor on March 18, that may give you some better insight
as to what we are trying to do. You can also find responses from the editor in the
afs3-standariization@openafs.org archives. May 2011.

We now have one document up for review by the RFC editor as an independent submission.
We expect that there will be some boiler plate text added to this document by the editor,
and we will add it to the others.