[AFS3-std] New version of draft-deason-afs3-getsizev2

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:06:00 -0600

A new version (-01) of the I-D draft-deason-afs3-getsizev2 has been
submitted to the IETF:

<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-deason-afs3-getsizev2/>

This draft leaves time as 32-bit time, though I can still be convinced
to change this to 64-bit 100ns time. I'd rather all of AFSVol have some
consistent prefix or suffix on the RPC names or something when all of
the others get converted, but I can understand the desire to have
64-bit-time GetSize earlier. There's also no 64-bit time draft or
standard (yet), and I wanted to move forward discussion on some other
points.

This also does not include electronic links to the AFS3-RX or AFS3-VVL
references. As discussed on the list, I'd still like to have those, but
I wanted to move discussion forward on other points in the meantime. If
there is a more permanent home provided for them, I'll add links.

I think those are the only outstanding mentioned changes I intentionally
"left out". Here's a summary of the changes from 00 -> 01, which I think
covers all other voiced concerns:

 - Abstract: mention GetSize, as that is what the new RPC is a flexible
   alternative to.
 - Introduction: sentence added to clarify what this document is
   adding/changing.
 - Error codes: reference AFS3-VVL for the meanings, and define ENOENT
   to have the value 2.
 - New section 5 ("Extant RPC Interface") to describe what DumpV2 and
   GetSize do, since no other documentation exists for them. This is
   referenced from the appropriate places in the GetSizeV2 description.
 - RPC argument formatting changed.
 - GetSizeV2 'fromDate' argument now has a note addressing the 32-bit
   time issue.
 - Any mention of returning success or error codes has been removed.
   Instead, we discuss when calls are aborted and with what error codes
   (although we don't enumerate the codes; we just say that we do what
   AFSVolDump does)
 - The AFS-3 Assigned Numbers Registry is now always referred to by that
   name.
 - Security Considersations effectively rewritten. It now uses some RFC
   2119 language for access control of GetSizeV2 and how it relates to
   GetSize.
 - misc wording fixes, etc

--
Andrew Deason