[AFS3-std] Re: abort packet format

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 12:41:41 -0600

>> Providing additional information in abort packets seems reasonable, but
>> let's think carefully about how to do it.
>>=20
>> Is the "reason code" you propose simply a sub-error-code, which means
>> you have a table of possible reasons for every possible error code?

Time-tested solution (been working for decades in other protocols):

3 32-bit values:

Error code (in this case ABORT)
Reason code (32-bit reason)
Suggested Action: (32-bit action table)

Reasons could be (TOO_MANY_REQUESTS, EXPLICIT_CONGESTION_NOTIFICATION, etc)
Suggested actions could be (THROTTLE_DOWN, CHOOSE_ANOTHER_SERVER, etc)

32 bits worth of actions per reason code ought to be plenty.

>> What about a human-readable message?
>> And if we do that, what about internationalization?
>
>Maybe.

Please, no. That's user-level stuff, not on the wire stuff. Translate the
message when you log it, not in the packet.=20