[AFS3-std] Re: abort packet format

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:05:26 -0600

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 12:41:41 -0600
David Boyes <dboyes@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> >> What about a human-readable message?
> >> And if we do that, what about internationalization?
> >
> >Maybe.
>
> Please, no. That's user-level stuff, not on the wire stuff. Translate
> the message when you log it, not in the packet.

Then you have to standardize a new code and upgrade the clients before
they can make sense of it. If this stuff is only for human-readable
information, there's no machine processing to be done on it, so it makes
sense to just send the string.

I don't know if it's the way to go, but I don't think it should just be
dismissed just because "strings on the wire are ugly".

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net