[AFS3-std] Re: rxgk: Version numbers in XDR structures

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:22:25 -0600

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:08:07 -0500
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> XDR is an IETF standards track RFC (4506) and STD (67).  Modifications
> to XDR must be submitted to the IETF for standardization.  The process
> for defining new types is specified in RFC 4506.  It requires a
> standards track RFC that replaces 4506.
>
> Any work to update 4506 should be performed in conjunction with the
> NFSv4 working group.

The intention of the new union type I believe was to modify a fork of
XDR, not modify XDR itself. It can be argued whether or not we want to
do that (but I've heard at least once before that we've already done
that with afsUUID, so we're already working with an XDR fork), but
that's the reason why it was being handled just in here.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net