[AFS3-std] Re: rxgk: Version numbers in XDR structures

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:35:30 +0000

On 10 Mar 2011, at 16:22, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:08:07 -0500
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>
>> XDR is an IETF standards track RFC (4506) and STD (67).
>> Modifications
>> to XDR must be submitted to the IETF for standardization.  The
>> process
>> for defining new types is specified in RFC 4506.  It requires a
>> standards track RFC that replaces 4506.

Actually, you don't have to replace 4506, you can just update it,
according to the IANA considerations section in that document.

And we only have to do that if we want to say that we're still using
XDR. If we're actually doing 'rxdr' (say), then we can do as we wish.
At this point, we don't use standard XDR libraries on any platform,
and we've already forked from upstream by using different names for
the numerical primitives, and adding a whole new primitive UUID type.

S.