[AFS3-std] Re: rxgk: Version numbers in XDR structures

Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:51:19 -0500

--------------enig66717C4AC4997F1040F72CF2

On 3/10/2011 11:35 AM, Simon Wilkinson wrote:
> And we only have to do that if we want to say that we're still using
> XDR. If we're actually doing 'rxdr' (say), then we can do as we wish. A=
> this point, we don't use standard XDR libraries on any platform, and
> we've already forked from upstream by using different names for the
> numerical primitives, and adding a whole new primitive UUID type.

OpenAFS is not using standard XDR on any platform.  That doesn't mean
that other implementations are not.  The whole point of this
standardization group is to ensure that OpenAFS implementation decisions
do not become protocol decisions by fiat.