[AFS3-std] draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names to Experimental

Tom Keiser tkeiser@sinenomine.net
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:10:34 -0500

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> -09 in a moment with only that change.

Hi Derrick,

I just re-read, and I have two eleventh-hour nits (given how close
this document is to publication, please feel free to tell me to shut
up!!!):

1) Section 7.3 (GetCapabilities RPC): imho, we should add a paragraph
specifying a cache TTL for the capabilities bit vector, e.g.:

"Client implementations MAY cache the returned capability bit vector
for up to two hours.  If a client needs to invoke any RPC dependent
upon knowledge of the server's capabilities, and AFSVolGetCapabilities
has not been invoked within the last two hours, then the client MUST
re-fetch the capability bit vector using AFSVolGetCapabilities--and
verify that the now-present capabilities are consistent with the
desired invocation--before invoking the dependent RPC."

2) Section 7.4.6 (RemoveAuthName): this design is racy (since we have
no notion of record lock/transactions); is there any chance we could
agree to add an "IN afs_int64 id" parameter to the RPC in order to
eliminate the race?

Regards,

-Tom