[AFS3-std] Re: [rfc-ise] AFS3 Standardization and Independent Submissions

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Tue, 03 May 2011 10:12:39 -0500

On 5/2/2011 9:21 PM, Nevil Brownlee wrote:

> Hi Douglas:
>
> I have checked with the Apps and Transport ADs, the response is
>
> "I think doing this in Apps is OK, assuming that the group wants to
> revise drafts under IETF change control and other rules. But if the
> group just wants to get things published, then there should be no
> conflict with existing Apps work."
>
> You've said that you just want to get the drafts published so as
> to make them available, and proposed a paragraph for the 'Status of
> this Memo.' Given all that discussion, I'll go ahead with publishing
> your first draft, i.e. draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names-09.

Great.

> Your paragraph was
> "This document was produced by the AFS3-standardization group as
> extensions and updates to the existing AFS protocols. The existing
> AFS protocols are not IETF standard protocols and these extensions
> to that protocol are not to be considered IETF standards, they
> simply record the work of the AFS3-Standardization group."
> Note: I've edited this slightly, is that OK with you?

It looks OK to me, I would like comments from our group.

> Also, Independent Submissions get a final review by IESG (RFC 5742),
> anything you can do to minimise confusion with an 'IETF standard' is
> worthwhile.

Agreed.

> Concerning the comment above about "IETF change control and other
> rules," remember that once published, RFCs never change, you'd have to
> publish new ones. Also, assuming that we get the first document
> safely published, there's no guarantee that any later ones would be.
> In particular, you should not assume that a group of inter-related
> drafts would be published simultaneously.

I don't think that will be a problem.

> Sorry to sound so careful, but we're breaking new ground here!
>
> So now, if you're happy to go ahead, accepting the cavets above,
> my next step is to find some independent reviewers for the draft above.
> Can you suggest a few people (and their email addresses) that I could
> ask, please?

I personally think it is OK, I would like to get consensus
from our group.  Most of the people involved with AFS are
part of the group. But I think we can come up with some reviewers.

Thanks for all your help with this.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory