[AFS3-std] Fwd: future of the AFSDB RR related IANA registry

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:46:52 -0400

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 14:47 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Forwarding this along to reach more of the AFS community.  I wrote back
> and said that I agreed with the closing of the registry and would be very
> surprised if anyone objected or anticipated further AFSDB record type
> registrations, but that I'd pass along any objections.

The DNS community is generally opposed to RR subtype schemes such as
that used by AFSDB, because it is impossible to request only records of
a particular subtype and because it is frequently the case, as for
AFSDB, that a single requestor is not interested in records of multiple
subtypes at the same time.

It seems likely that, if a use case were to arise for a new AFSDB
subtype, the DNS community (and in particular, the DNSEXT working group)
would argue strongly in favor of defining a new RR type rather than a
new AFSDB subtype.

So, like Russ, I think it's appropriate to close the registry.

-- Jeff