[AFS3-std] Status?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:54:27 -0400

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 20:39 -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> What are we blocked on, and what is required to move forward?

1) lame chairs to actually move a couple of things along:

   - we had a last call on the rxgk document which I need to review;
     there were a few comments but I'm not sure if any of them are
     things that need an update.  simon?
   - I think Tom indicated he thinks extensible unions is ready
     for last call, so we should start one on that soon.

   I've actually been able to make some time in recent weeks for
   standards work, but this list hasn't seen it yet because I've
   been spending that time catching up on IETF stuff before the
   meeting next week.  Now that that's done, I'll be turning my
   attention here next.

2) Authors of other things to solicit comments, act on them, and
   move things towards being ready.  The chairs can try to encourage
   review of things that need it, and discussion when there are open
   issues.  And, we can prod authors who are being nonresponsive to
   comments.  However, we (or at least I) generally won't drive the
   process just so the group is "doing something" -- if a document
   isn't getting worked on, and no one is complaining about it, then
   I mostly assume that's because everyone is doing things that they
   consider more urgent or more important.

> What can mere mortals do to help this move forward?

A few things, actually...

If you're interested in seeing something make progress, say so.  While
people working on a document usually already have some motivation for
doing so, knowing whether and how much other people are interested can
be useful in planning time.

Volunteer to review documents and suggest improvements.  You don't need
anyone's permission -- read the things that interest you, and post your
comments to the list.  Of course, when asking for something to be added
or changed, it helps to propose specific text.  This is the equivalent
of submitting a patch along with a bug report or feature request.

At some point we need to have a web site on which to publish information
about documents that have been approved, along with information on their
current status and possibly copies of the documents themselves.  So far,
nothing along those lines has been done.  If someone's interested in
working on this, I can provide some space in AFS with a web server in
front of it, similar to what we have for the registrar and workshop
sites.

-- Jeff