[AFS3-std] rxgk CombineTokens and enctypes (was Re: Re: afs3-rxgk-updates for 03)

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Wed, 7 Nov 2012 12:50:43 +0000

On 7 Nov 2012, at 01:39, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

>> [After the lifetime, byte-life, etc fields are specified]
>> + The identity in the new "combined" token is an application-specific
>> + combination of the identities of the input tokens; note that this
>> + combination may not be commutative.
>=20
> In particular the combined identity need not represent either the =
union nor intersection of the privileges associated with the two =
identities. (Right?  I had asked rougly this question earlier but I =
don't think I got a reply.)

Right. The nature of the combined entity is entirely up to the =
application. It can chose to use as much (or as little) information from =
the provided tokens as it wishes. I wonder if we can be even less =
specific, and just have:

+ The identity in the new "combined" token is an application-specific
+ combination of the identities of the input tokens.

Application specific covers that it may, or may not be, commutative.

Cheers,

Simon