[AFS3-std] bibxml for finished documents

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:08:15 -0500

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 14:24 -0500, Michael Meffie wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 17:11:39 -0500
> Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> > When referring to internet drafts from other (XML source) I-Ds,
> > xml.resource.org provides a handy service of pregenerated bibliography XML
> > entries for the draft (e.g.,
> > http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml3/reference.I-D.brashear-afs3-pts-extended-names.xml).
> > When a document moves from an I-D to an RFC, a new URL for the document's
> > bibxml is provided on xml.resource.org, reflecting its status as a
> > published RFC.  While a document is still an I-D, references to it from
> > other I-Ds include the phrase "(work in progress)" in the references
> > section.
> >
> > The AFS-3 standardization community is using I-Ds for its working
> > documents, but we currently publish finalized documents on
> > http://afs3-stds.central.org.  At present, these documents are still
> > formatted as internet drafts (perhaps they should be reformatted?).
> > However, the easiest way to get bibxml entries for them remains the
> > xml.resource.org site, which includes the "work in progress" statement,
> > which is no longer true.  Should we host our own bibxml for finished
> > documents?  It would seem to make a few things cleaner, but does require
> > some effort to generate and host the entries.
>
> Creating a bibxml3 directory on afs3-std.central.org for completed documents
> seems reasonable to me, and sounds like something the co-chairs can do as part
> of promoting the document.
>
> Jeffrey Huztelman, do you have an opinion?

Yes, we probably should publish bibxml for our finished documents, to
make it easier to cite them in I-Ds and the like.

And yes, once a document is approved, we probably should produce
something that looks less like an internet-draft and more like a "final"
document.  But I'm not sure what that should look like.  Just running
things through xml2rfc in rfc mode is not quite enough.

-- Jeff