[AFS3-std] Re: file servers, uuids, and GSS identities

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:34:24 -0600

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:28:52 -0500 (EST)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Now we get into what is probably just implementation questions.

Yes, I think everything in here is up to the implementor, but this
warrants some recommendations. It could also be possible to mention all
of the different schemes that have been brought up here, and briefly
mention the pros/cons. I don't think you need to decide yet what OpenAFS
does for this.

> On the other hand, if a fileserver is to be upgraded from rxkad to
> rxgk, there needs to be some way to indicate in the configuration that
> it is ready to do so, otherwise all rxkad fileservers are subject to
> hijacking by a rogue RegisterAddrsAndKey call.

I think the distinction here is between cell-wide-key fileservers and
per-server-key fileservers; rxkad or not doesn't really matter. A
fileserver with the rxgk cell-wide key should be able to upgrade itself
without intervention. And if you convert a fileserver from cell-wide-key
to per-server-key, you need to have an administrator flag the UUID
somehow, or else the fileserver could hijack any rxkad or cell-wide-key
rxgk fileserver vldb entry.

I'm thinking of this as just a general administrator command to change
the UUID<->GSS mappings. You'd need the same thing if you change the
e.g. kerberos principal used by a fileserver (say, if it's hostname
changed, and you want the principal name to accurately reflect the
hostname).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net