[AFS3-std] Re: file servers, uuids, and GSS identities

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 18:01:56 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:28:52 -0500 (EST)
> Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, if a fileserver is to be upgraded from rxkad to
>> rxgk, there needs to be some way to indicate in the configuration that
>> it is ready to do so, otherwise all rxkad fileservers are subject to
>> hijacking by a rogue RegisterAddrsAndKey call.
>
> I think the distinction here is between cell-wide-key fileservers and
> per-server-key fileservers; rxkad or not doesn't really matter. A

Well, sure, having the cell-wide key allows it to print a token with
whatever identity it wants (regardless of our MUST have an empty
identity), so a printed token should be sufficient authorization to do an
upgrade.

> fileserver with the rxgk cell-wide key should be able to upgrade itself
> without intervention. And if you convert a fileserver from cell-wide-key
> to per-server-key, you need to have an administrator flag the UUID
> somehow, or else the fileserver could hijack any rxkad or cell-wide-key
> rxgk fileserver vldb entry.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, but I agree that going from
cell-wide key to per-server key requires administrator action on that
UUID.

> I'm thinking of this as just a general administrator command to change
> the UUID<->GSS mappings. You'd need the same thing if you change the
> e.g. kerberos principal used by a fileserver (say, if it's hostname
> changed, and you want the principal name to accurately reflect the
> hostname).

Yup.

-Ben