[AFS3-std] rxgk-afs: moving SetCallBackKey to a separate document?

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:57:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

>From the previous discussions here, it really feels like section 10
("Securing the Callback Channel") of this document is not nearly as
polished as the rest of the document.  That is, the current spec could not
possibly result in a working system.

Furthermore, the section is really describing a generic RPC and keying
system, with only a paragraph or two that are specific to rxgk operation.
We have several statements that begin "in rxgk's case, [...]" which makes
the section feel like a grafted-on afterthought.

rxgk's operation does not depend on SetCallBackKey, nor on extended
callbacks in general; on the contrary, extended callbacks depend on the
ability to set a callback key for a secure channel, and such a secure
callback channel is probably easier to impelement once rxgk is in place
than otherwise.

Does anyone feel strongly that SetCallBackKey should remain in this
document?  I can probably take responsibility for writing the separate
document which would describe a SetCallBackKey RPC, if we do not just put
that behavior in the XCB document itself.

Thanks,

Ben