[AFS3-std] review comments for draft-deason-afs3-getsizev2-03

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 13:56:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I've read this document and have delightfully little to say about it.
It's a pretty straightforward enhancement filling a long-standing void,
which is good.

The only real comment I might offer is that this is in last call jointly
with a document defining 64-bit time types.  Seciton 5.1 does mention
future work for improving date representations (now concurrent work), but
it doesn't seem that there is compelling reason to reopen this document to
use the 64-bit time representation.

It's unclear whether we want to suggest that the values of the GetSizeV2
flags match the values of the DumpV2 flags, since they need not have the
same flags.  Given that there's only one flag at present and adding more
would require some though, I don't think it matters either way.

It also struck me in parts of Section 8 that we sometimes request things
of the registry and at other times suggest actions for them.  I don't know
how important the distinction is; we could probably just request things
always.

Anyway, this document is fine and I would be happy if it was published
as-is.  I do not think any changes are necessary.

-Ben