[AFS3-std] review comments on draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-06

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 16:23:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Another document with delightfully little for me to say about it!

I think the only substantive comment I have is that starting off the
abstract with "AFS-3 relies upon XDR to carry Rx RPC call payloads" leaves
the reader wondering what "XDR" is (if they don't know already).  Adding
a few words describing what XDR does could be useful (e.g., "the XDR
encoding scheme" or "the XDR data format" or "the XDR data format
description language").

I think it is well-understood that we are creating an AFS-3 fork of
XDR/RPC-L by approving this document, and we're okay with that.  I don't
know the state of previous discussions with respect to trying to get
this extension approved as an IETF standards-track RFC (per RFC 4506's
IANA considerations) so as to merge the fork back into the main XDR
standard.  Does anyone remember offhand?

I am happy to have this document approved as an AFS-3 standard.

-Ben