[AFS3-std] review comments for draft-deason-afs3-getsizev2-03

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 3 Apr 2014 22:20:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 13:56 -0400, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>
>> It also struck me in parts of Section 8 that we sometimes request things
>> of the registry and at other times suggest actions for them.  I don't know
>> how important the distinction is; we could probably just request things
>> always.
>
> To me, that section reads as a request that two new registries be
> created, with a suggestion as to how to divide up the namespace.  I'm

Yes.

> not really concerned about how it's worded.  Is the namespace actually

I'm not concerned, either.  It just stuck out at me a little while I was
reading, so I thought I'd mention it.

> only 32 bits?  If so, then reserving 1/4 of them for private use seems a
> bit large.  Unless we think there are likely to be a lot of site-defined
> (not vendor-specific) flags.

Yes, the RPC argument is a 32-bit flags field.
Only one flag value is currently defined; I'm not really worried that we
will run out.

-Ben