[AFS3-std] review comments on draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-06

Matt W. Benjamin matt@linuxbox.com
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 17:15:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

----- "Thomas Keiser" <tkeiser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Spencer Shepler contacted me in late 2012 to ask whether I intended
> this for IETF standards-track (because he was concerned that I was
> pushing many I-D revisions without making any entreaties to his WG).
> At the time, I told him that I assumed the mechanism was uninteresting
> to the NFS WG--due to their reliance upon ONC RPC's interface
> versioning mechanism to achieve a similar effect. Our correspondence
> died there, so I gather he agreed with that assessment.

NFSv4 more explicitly relies on the NFSv4 minor versioning mechanism in
this case, I think.

But It's an interesting question how to reach the attention of the wider
set of ONC stakeholders who might benefit.

> Nevertheless, if the group feels we should seek publication as an
> extension to 4506, I'm certainly willing to ask the WG chairs whether
> they think this would be of general interest. I can certainly see an
> argument where standards-track would make sense; there are many XDR
> consumers outside of NFS/ONC RPC that could potentially benefit from
> this enhancement (e.g., NDMP?).
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Thomas

Matt