[AFS3-std] Comments on draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-06

Simon Wilkinson simon@sxw.org.uk
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 11:32:13 +0100

Hi,

As an extension to RFC4506 this document seems fine. One nit, however is =
that our current rxgen doesn't implement the 4506 syntax for unions.

A RFC4506 style union definition is:

union switch (DESC-TYPE DESC-NAME) {
} NAME;

However, AFS's rxgen takes a union defintion in the form

union NAME switch (DESC-TYPE DESC-NAME) {
};

For an extended union, this document defines

ext-union switch (DESC-TYPE DESC-NAME) {
} NAME;

So we're consistent with RFC4506, but inconsistent with the syntax used =
in deployed AFS protocol definitions. I don't know to what extent this =
is an issue, but it would seem difficult if we're moving towards a style =
of XDR that can't be compiled by the current protocol compilers.

Cheers,

Simon