[OpenAFS-announce] GUI for AFS

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 13:01:42 -0500

Now available from http://cf.ccmr.cornell.edu/publicdownloads/afs is a
new gui for openafs. The purpose of this gui is to make things AFS
somewhat more userfriendly for the enduser.

This app is called "afstokens" as its original purpose was just to
display tokens and allow one to destroy/obtain new tokens. It has since
been expanded somewhat, but, the name remains until a better one is
thought up.

The app is written in C using gtk+-2. So, you'll need both of those
plus openafs to compile (I have used openafs1.2.10). Included in the
tar file is a Makefile for compiling with pthread support. Also
available is a binary compiled under redhat 7.3. (You may also note
there is a Mac Jaguar version available... this version does not
require gtk as it uses cocoa).

So far, the following features are present:
obtain/destroy tokens
view group membership
view/change/edit owned groups

Todo/bugs:

* I need to get the multirealm code working. Right now, even though a
cell box is present, changing the cell name has no effect for ptserver
stuff (although, you can obtain tickets in multiple cells).
* Thinking about allowing editing of afs directory/file perms.
* PTServer caching. AFS libs cache which ptserver we're talking to. So,
when clearing out the old information, you'll see a stdout/err error
message about "libprot: no configuration directory". There is a patch
against openafs-1.2.10 to get rid of this error message (and the error
itself is harmless).

If you find a bug, let me know, or better yet, send me a patch. If you
would like to add on, once again, send me a patch.

Enjoy!

--
David William Botsch