[OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.5.20 release available
Fri, 18 May 2007 16:05:28 -0400
The OpenAFS Gatekeepers announce the availability of OpenAFS
version 1.5.20. Source files and available binaries can be
accessed via the web at:
or via AFS at:
All UNIX platforms:
OpenAFS 1.5.20 is a development build meant to be used to test
new features and functionality. The significant changes since
the 1.5.19 release include:
- Do not hold global lock during volume clone operations on
OpenAFS 1.5.20 is the recommended production ready release for Microsoft
Windows users supporting all Microsoft Windows operating systems from
Windows 2000 to Windows Vista including both 32-bit and 64-bit
SECURITY-ADVISORY 2007-002: OpenAFS for Windows clients
versions 1.3.64- 1.4.4, 1.5.0 - 1.5.18.
When MIT Kerberos for Windows (any version) is installed a user with the
ability to alter the contents of the Kerberos v5 configuration profile
can prevent Microsoft Windows from successfully booting. This issue has
been corrected in OpenAFS 1.5.19. Please read the full advisory at
IMPORTANT: All users are recommended to upgrade to 1.5.16 or later in
order to address a serious error that will result in data corruption.
If the network connectivity to the file server is lost while background
write operations have been queued, the writes will not succeed and that
data will not be written to the file server. This leaves a hole in the
file filled with NULs. This bug is present in all releases of OpenAFS
for Windows prior to 1.5.15 and IBM Windows AFS releases prior to 3.6 2.59.
This release of OpenAFS for Windows is built using the corrected C
Runtime Library for the Spring 2007 DST changes.
Significant changes since 1.5.19:
* Corrected handling of drop boxes (directories with only list
and insert permissions).
* Fixed installation of Shell Extension on 64-bit Windows
to enable both 32-bit and 64-bit versions to co-exist.
* Improved Explorer Shell interaction when read permission is
not available on the directory.
* Improvements to the Network Identity Manager AFS Provider.
* Fix a crash when merging status information.
* Flush cached mountpoint data when flushing volume information.
* Beta versions of the Network Identity Manager AFS plug-in must be
uninstalled prior to the installation of OpenAFS 1.5.19
* Windows Vista does not support the old WinHelp file format used by
afscreds.exe and afs_control.exe.
* On Windows Vista, afscreds.exe and afs_config.exe are not User
Account Control (UAC) compatible and must be "Run as
Administrator" in order to modify the AFS Client Configuration or
start/stop the AFS client service.
Please visit http://www.openafs.org/windows.html for up to date
information on the status of the OpenAFS for Windows client.
Bug reports should be filed to email@example.com . Reports of
success should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
for the OpenAFS Gatekeepers