[OpenAFS-announce] OpenAFS 1.4.11 release available

Derrick J Brashear openafs-info@openafs.org
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:51:11 -0400 (EDT)

The OpenAFS Gatekeepers announce the availability of OpenAFS versions
1.4.11.  Source files and available binaries can be accessed via the
web at:

       http://www.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.4.11/

or via AFS at:

       /afs/grand.central.org/software/openafs/1.4.11/
       \\afs\grand.central.org\software\openafs\1.4.11\

OpenAFS 1.4.11 is the current recommended release for all Unix platforms;
For Windows, we recommend use of the current 1.5 series release for best
performance, and we do not expect to provide OpenAFS 1.4 series binaries for
Windows.

OpenAFS 1.4.10 contains fixes for a number of issues, including:

Linux:
- Support for newer kernels, through 2.6.30.
- Fixed bug in anti-recursion protection for mmap clients.
- Avoid a panic caused by changing credentials during VFS operations.
- Improve keyring PAG setup code.
- Avoid possible ext3 cache truncation issues.
- Avoid possible kernel panic in VFS function returns.

Solaris:
- Updates for newer OpenSolaris kernels.

All platforms:
- Provide portable method for discovering what PAG a user is in.
- Cleanup ptserver argument parsing to fix debug mode, and fix log levels.
- Fix for uninitialized memory dereference in klog.krb5.
- Fix an overflow in the cellconfig code used by client and server.
- Avoid losing writes on mmap()ed files when cache is memcache.
- Provide an afsd switch to allow override of the maximum MTU.
- Provide support for encrypt mode in pts.
- Fix race in background sync code which could cause volumes to go offline.
- Fix to avoid a null pointer dereference in fileserver client identity lookup.
- Improve handling of moves of volumes from 1.5 series fileservers.

Bug reports should be filed to openafs-bugs@openafs.org.

Thanks are due as usual to our dedicated team of binary builders
(Matt Benjamin, Douglas Engert, Christof Hanke, Mike Meffie, and Simon
Wilkinson) without whom the broad range of released binaries would not be
possible.

Additional builds will be available for 1.4.11 as they become available,
and Linux RPMs will be provided as possible for new kernels.

Derrick J Brashear
for the OpenAFS gatekeepers