[OpenAFS-announce] resignation as gatekeeper

Ken Dreyer openafs-info@openafs.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2014 14:22:11 -0600

Hi all,

I've accepted a new job at Red Hat working with the Ceph engineering
team, and I'll be leaving USGS on October 31. Since most of my work on
AFS was related to my job at USGS, I'm stepping down as a gatekeeper
on the project. (This isn't a request from my new employer - it's just
that my wife and I had a new baby this summer, and I can't commit the
time that I once could when I was on staff at USGS.)

In my spare time I had done some preliminary work on redesigning the
openafs.org website, and that work-in-progress effort is here:
https://gitorious.org/ktdreyer/openafs-web , specifically the
"ktdreyer-redesign" branch. homepage2.jpg was the mockup from which I
was working.

I'd also been maintaining the openafs package in RPM Fusion, which
I've orphaned.[1] This effectively means that the packages will be
retired and pulled from the repository. If there's someone else who
wants to maintain openafs in RPM Fusion, please get in touch as soon
as possible. If I don't hear from anyone, I plan to formally retire
the package in early November.

In terms of my other AFS-related Fedora/EPEL packages, such as
pam_afs_session and kstart, I'm keeping them in the distro for now
because they require such little ongoing work. I'm not sure how long
I'll keep them, and from what I understand Russ has given up upstream
maintenance, but they'll be around for now. (I think Simon Wilkinson
is officially on the co-maintainer ACL for kstart and remctl at
least.) I'll stay a co-maintainer for ikiwiki and its Perl
dependencies as well, since MIT is presently using those for
wiki.openafs.org, and once the packages are in the distro they involve
relatively little maintenance.

It has been great working with the OpenAFS community and I really
enjoyed getting to meet those of you who said hello at conferences. I
wish you all the best with continuing AFS development.

- Ken

[1] https://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-users/2014-October/000450.html