[reiserfs-list] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] more on the 2.2.18pre17 SMP cpu hog/etc.

Andi Kleen ak@suse.de
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 03:50:49 +0100

[you didn't say it in the mail, but I'll guess you're using a reiserfs
partition as a afs cache]

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 06:53:38PM -0600, Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> After the first time, it worked almost instantly. The first time through
> though, this call in LINUX/osi_file.c
>
>         MYDEBUG("G");
>     tip = iget(afs_cacheSBp, (u_long)ainode);
>         MYDEBUG("H");
>
> that call takes TWELVE jiffies when it's slow. (Mydebug just prints out
> a jiffies count with a label.)
>
> So, it seems to me that it might just be an issue with the particular
> version of reiserfs or with the kernel. I'm running 3.5.25 on 2.2.17 at
> work, 3.5.27 with 2.2.18pre17 at home. I do know that the filesystem at
> work is using the tea hash, and at home is using r5 hash.
>
> (Reiserfs list: the files are named /afscache/V0 - /afscache/V99, there
> are 102 files in the directory.)
>
> Any ideas?

Could you profile the kernel and see what is taking up the CPU ?
(boot with profile=2 and read the profile log using readprofile afterwards)

-Andi