[reiserfs-list] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] more on the 2.2.18pre17 SMPcpu hog/etc.

Andi Kleen ak@suse.de
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:38:39 +0100

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 07:34:42PM -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> > > It's not as fragile as you might think.  The inode structure doesn't
> > > change all that frequently, and using symbol versions catches it when
> > > it does change.  Unfortunately, far too many people use AFS modules
> > > without symbol versions.  I'm hoping that will begin to change.
> >
> > I know that it breaks here.
>
> Because you try to load a module that is not compatible with your kernel.

I hacked it now to handle the additional fields, but it is rather ugly.

> If the modules used symbol versions (I assume your kernels already do),
> then you'd notice right away.

SuSE kernels do not use symbol versions. In practice they're causing more
problems than they solve, mostly because the mangling is not complete
enough.

-Andi