[reiserfs-list] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] more on the 2.2.18pre17 SMPcpu hog/etc.

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 00:02:36 +0100

> Unfortunately, the AFS cache does not meet those conditions.  The cache is
> a single directory that may have tens of thousands of files in it.

This is a design miss of the AFS cache which will give problems for
almost all flavours of *i*x file systems. It can only win by a change.
A change can go in two directions: Order the files in some directory
tree with some smart structure or give up the files approach and use
one big file. When using -memcache, the whole cache is one big chunk
of data, too. Another pain is this bad habit of creating all the
inodes at boot. If I start with a really small cache and later
increase the cache size on the fly, inodes are created without
blocking cache operations for minutes. So why the wait at boot? This
feature seems to be wanted by more than a few.

Harald.